MiT has had SO MUCH going on, we haven’t even had time to update our website! So what have we been up to?
- We went to Black Girls Rock: One Mic at the Kennedy Center, where we saw MC Lyte, Lauryn Hill and more!
- We had amazing seats at a Nationals Game and enjoyed a Plain White T’s concert after the game.
- We had a sleepover at The Ritz where we learned about etiquette from a wonderful teacher, tried on prom dresses donated to us by Howard University’s Fashion Law Week and Womble Carlyle, and we tried on accessories and handbags donated by Andrea’s Beau!
- We worked in a community garden in Columbia Heights, planted our own plants and made a Caprese salad fresh from the garden!
- We have been studying for the SAT every Sunday afternoon with a very dedicated volunteer and our incredibly hard working girls.
- We attended the US Science and Engineering Festival where our founder, Kat, spoke on two panels and the girls were able to explore careers in STEM!
It’s been an amazing few months!
Our tickets to BLACK GIRLS ROCK!
We saw a lot of amazing female performers at BGR!
Hanging out at the Kennedy Center!
Group shot at the USA STEM Fest!
Our founder, Kat Calvin, speaking on a panel about women in STEM.
Chillin’ with Miss Frizzle
The girls learned about the science used in Antartica.
We learned a lot about Women in STEM at the festival.
Janazjia practiced her estimation skills to try to win a jar of candy!
Studying for the SAT!
Exploring Ancient Rome in virtual reality.
The googly eyes were especially fun!
Trying on prom dresses at The Ritz.
Thanks for the donations Fashion Law Week and Womble Carlyle!
Keiseana just cannot say no to pink!
Andrea’s Beau donated a lot of beautiful hair accessories and handbags for the girls!
So many dresses, the generosity of our partners and donors is astounding. Thank you!
Keiseana wearing one of the donated dresses to prom!
Keiseana getting a corsage!
We had a blast at The Ritz, especially swimming!
Our amazing etiquette teacher, Maia Tucker, taught the girls about social media and email etiquette.
The Nats game! It was gorgeous and we had great seats. Thank you Ms. Evers!
Group shot at the game!
We saw a lot of amazing female performers at BLACK GIRLS ROCK!
Gardening at Bruce Monroe Community Garden.
The community garden is an amazing way for anyone in the area to have an affordable way to grow fresh fruits and vegetables.
After working so hard we made a delicious (and fresh!) Caprese salad!